Friday, April 13, 2007

TobyMac

This post is way past due. My new amazing friend, Jenn, is completely obsessed (sorry, Jenn, but you know you are) with DC Talk and especially TobyMac. It's totally cool because it's been a while since I've had a friend nearby that is so in love with music and concerts...and just that whole scene. So, when I found out that she wanted to go to a TobyMac concert in Rockford, IL on a Sunday night but wasn't going to go because she didn't want to go by herself, naturally I hopped right on it and told her that I'd go! We bought our tickets and headed to Rockford on a Sunday night. Rockford is about an hour and a half from where I live...so it wasn't too convenient for a Sunday night since work is usually early the next morning. But, I asked for a half day Monday so that I wouldn't have to come in until Noon.

Now, this concert was a few weeks ago but I haven't had the time to post about it...and quite honestly I kind of forgot. We had a good drive on the way there and made it early enough to grab a bite at a local restaurant. We wanted to go somewhere "different" to eat. I saw Cheddar's and Jenn said she's never been there, and since I hadn't been to one since I was a teenager we decided that would be good. Well, it wasn't. ha! At least it was cheap, but we should've eaten at the Old Chicago across the street. lol

It definitely didn't ruin our night though. We found the church (where the concert was) and headed into the auditorium. To our dismay, even though we bought the highest priced tickets (that really weren't very expensive) they still were not the best seats in the house. The front row seats were all taped up as "reserved" for the 'Gold Star members" (whatever that means). So we found the best seats we could and decided to try to sneak our way up later. There were three opening bands and I don't think I can remember their names... I'll try: Building 429, ...ohhh...I guess I really can't remember the other two. But the other two were pretty hard rock...well, Christian hard rock...if that's a real genre. They were all very good.

The 'security guards' there were just teenagers from the church that wore black "SECURITY" shirts. I remember when I worked "security" for a DC Talk concert at Lipscomb and..well..yeah...I was up in the front enjoying the concert with the rest of the ticket holders. You can say I used the volunteer position to get prime seating and back stage access. :) However, this was not the case at this Tobymac concert. These teenagers really took their volunteer position seriously, which made it difficult for me and Jenn to sneak up to the front. Finally, we built up our courage to do it. We found that if we just didn't make eye contact with the "security nazi", then we would be fine. It totally worked. So, while others next to us were getting kicked out of the front and sent back to their seats, Jenn and I succeeded in securing our spots up front!

Toby did a great job. It was fun to bounce around a bit and just enjoy the concert. It had been such a long time since I'd been to a concert, so I was a bit rusty and felt a bit old, but I managed to really enjoy myself. I got a few pics, but my battery was very low and finally died near the end. My videos are better, but I'm not sure how to post them on here. So, I'll leave you with what I can in pics.

Oh...and Jenn bought a sweet sweatshirt!

1 comment:

Nate said...

sounds like a great time!

How Many Since 3/19/07?